• 206-438-8720
  • info@danielsmithlawoffice.com

Immigration Law

Located in Seattle, WA

Immigration law is the cornerstone of our practice. We, at the Law Office of Daniel J. Smith, believe that an informed client is crucial to our positive success rate. With that in mind, we’ve developed an ongoing series of informative posts called Immigration 101.

The idea behind our Immigration 101 series is to help provide resources, and direction to those who find themselves being overwhelmed with the documentation, processes, and protocols of the immigration process.

Immigration 101

The below subcategories are part of an ongoing series of informative posts. When followed, the selected subcategory will lead to a resource page with multiple articles pertaining to each subject.**


Here we provide a list of the most common ways you can automatically become a citizen. As well as the process, and requirements for naturalization.


This subcategory within the Immigration 101 series focuses on providing information and details regarding the Removal & Deportation processes in the United States.

Additional Resources

The information shared below is to provide a basic overview for each of the disciplines.**

  • Visiting the USA
    Generally, if you want to visit (and not live in) the United States you must first obtain a visitor visa. Travelers from certain countries may be exempt from this requirement. For more information, please see the U.S Department of State website. If you want to travel to the United States for reasons other than business or pleasure, you must apply for a visa in the appropriate category.  This includes if you want to study, work as a crew member or journalist, etc., You can get help determining which visa you need by selecting the appropriate categories on our home page.
  • Family Immigration
    Many people get Green Cards (become permanent residents) through family members. You may be eligible to get a Green Card as:
    • an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, this includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
    • a family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category, this includes unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older
    • a family member of a green card holder, this includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder
    • a member of a special category, this can include battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen
    For information pertaining to fiance(e) visas or adoption please contact our team for a consultation.
  • Employment Immigration
    You may be eligible for an employment-based, fourth preference visa if you are a special immigrant. The following special immigrants are eligible for the fourth preference visa:
    1. Religious Workers
    2. Broadcasters
    3. Iraqi/Afghan Translators
    4. Iraqis Who Have Assisted the United States
    5. International Organization Employees
    6. Physicians
    7. Armed Forces Members
    8. Panama Canal Zone Employees
    9. Retired NATO-6 employees
    10. Spouses and Children of Deceased NATO-6 employees
  • Naturalization & Citizenship
    Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). You May Qualify for Naturalization if:
    • You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements.
    • You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen, please visit our Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens page for more information.
    • You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements.
    • Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.
    You may qualify through other paths to naturalization, please contact our team to discuss available options.
  • Removal & Deportation
    The formal removal of an alien from the United States when the alien has been found removable for violating the immigration laws. Deportation is ordered by an immigration judge without any punishment being imposed or contemplated. Prior to April 1997 deportation and exclusion were separate removal procedures. The Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 consolidated these procedures. After April 1, 1997, aliens in and admitted to the United States may be subject to removal based on deportability. Now called Removal, this function is managed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
  • Asylum & Refugee
    Refugee status or asylum may be granted to people who have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted on account of race, religion, nationality, and/or membership in a particular social group or political opinion. Under United States law, a refugee is someone who:
    1. Is located outside of the United States
    2. Is of special humanitarian concern to the United States
    3. Demonstrates that they were persecuted or fear persecution due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group Is not firmly resettled in another country
    4. Is admissible to the United States
    A refugee does not include anyone who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

**Disclaimer: The content in this blog is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Nothing herein should be construed as legal advice or opinion. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact us.